Wednesday 14 May 2014

Further adventures in mark making

As this project has led me to experiment with mark making and drawing machines I played around briefly with a hexagonal shaped thing after the fashion of a spirograph... the idea will work it just needs refinement, and a proper design which I may or may not get to for this... we shall see what time brings. a bit of fun noe the less and an excuse to play with hexagons, my favourite shape.
the wire was to hold the pencil in placeas I turned the small hexagon.
 I think it needs solid various sized inner hexagons with holes at various points, like a spirograph and teeth on the outside of them and the inside of the large one.


Then..... I thought hey..... a little while ago I found some old cameras lying in a field with some damaged negatives ( which I have developed to great disturbing success) and I wanted to use them to illustrate my ideas, making and viewing images as a passive activity.... so I vac moulded them and made plaster casts and set coloured pencils in them... the idea being that it is a camera that is making an image just in a different way, I really really like the idea of tweaking the way in which an object or device performs its function... initially I saw this awesome thing
http://rustybreak.tumblr.com/post/30466438290/sean-mackaoui 

and I loved the simplicity of it.... so I thought I would make a series of plaster pencil cameras but have each one with a set of colours, reds and yellow, blues and purples etc.. so now I have a set of camera pencils and I am going to test them out on willing class members...just set them up on some paper and let people play. I like that it is a finite piece of work, the object has no use once the pencils are shortened from use.





mine in progress...





this one is a mould of a viewmaster I found





I'm not going to paint them either, I want to see how the handling colours the surface of the plaster over time. I am looking forward to seeing what people do with them, if anything.. on Monday.
that's that for today.



No comments:

Post a Comment